Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Flying Unicorn Build a Page with Kaisercraft

I’ve had this picture printed for at least a month, but I’ve been waiting for the right paper to come along. When I saw the Kaisercraft papers in the kit, I just knew I had found it.
I begin my layout process by getting papers that I think will work with my photo and then I push them around for a while until I decide on just the right papers and layers.  I also try and use scraps as much as possible. Then I go through my flowers and embellies and pick out things that might work.  Here you can see that I’ve roughed out my layout and picked out some things that might work with it.
Enchanted forest 1
Now I will prepare the Dusty Attic fairy.  The title of this layout will be Enchanted Forest and I want to achieve something of a mystical look so I want the fairy to sparkle.

Enchanted forest 2

First I painted her wings with white gesso.  I painted the rest of her with clear gesso.  Then using the iridescent water colors that came in the kit, I painted her wings white, her body the palest color in the palette, and her hair brown.  Next I dabbled some clear drying glue (I used Glossy Accents) on her
wings here and there and then sprinkled with clear micro beads.  Then, I dabbled glue on her hair and sprinkled with brown micro beads.  Now add a bit more glue to the hair area and sprinkle with a light brown or copper micro beads.  I dotted some glue on her body and again used clear micro beads.  Now she is all sparkly and has an iridescence as I would imagine a fairy!

I set her aside, and decided that my papers needed some shine so  I painted around the edges of some
with the iridescent water colors.  BTW, I’ve had these paints for at least a year and I love them.  I was really pleasantly surprised to see them in the kit.  The effect is a lot like Glimmer Mist and a great way to get a variety of colors for not much money!

I digress, back to my layout.  So here’s the first layer.  Yep there’s a chunk of paper missing but it
doesn’t matter, it will be covered with another paper.

Enchanted forest 3

I painted the edges of the next payer with the copper colored water color.  Yep there’s a chunk
of this paper missing too!  You know I have to make these kit papers stretch as far as I can!

Enchanted forest 4

The next layer is an 8” mat that I used Martha Stewart’s wild flowers cut around the page punch.
On top of that I placed a circle which I think is 7.5”.  It was something I cut last week that didn’t work out.  I hot glued the shimmery trim from the kit around the circle.  Notice I didn’t go all the way around.  That part is going to hide under the photo so why waste the embellishment?

Enchanted forest 5

Next layer is the photo mat which I also painted around the edges with the copper paint.  I really
love how the paint is giving my layout a mystical shimmer here and there.

Enchanted forest 6

Then we add the photo and title; the  basic layout is done!

Enchanted forest 8

I am placing the fairy so that the flower she is holding sort of fills up that trapped space beneath the letter E and to the right of the letter F.  Watch for trapped blank spaces in your layouts and try to avoid them.  You’ll be surprised how much better your layouts will look.

I added one of the vines from the kit, 3 pinecones that I made, a metal moose and bear from my stash, and some pine sprigs that I have touched up with Lindy’s Ponderosa Pine mist.

Enchanted forest 9

Finally I add a few flowers and a journal card that tells you this photo is from the Olympic Penisula in Washington state.























Thanks for walking with me through my Build a Page, hope you'll give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...