Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Flying Unicorn May KOM Coffee & Muse BAP

Vintage Styling in Color!


Hi everyone!  Maggi here to share my vintage styling with you using the Flying Unicorn's May kit, Coffee and Muse.  Typically, vintage styles have alot of darker tones and distressed edges that mimic old worn and torn papers.  I decided to add a twist to that by using alot of color, while still using a vintage style with lots of layers, punches and lace.  I've chosen a photograph of my husband's parents taken in the mid 1940's, probably not too long after the end of WW II.  I printed the photo in a dark sepia tone to add to the vintage look.  The Prima Divine papers paired with My Mind's Eye and 7 Dots I Must Believe worked perfectly for me on our May kit BAP!

So, let's get started.  When I create, I usually get a rough idea of what papers I want to use and  shapes.  You can see a list of my supplies at the end of this BAP.

Step 1:  Cut an 8" circle from MME I'm With.  Note the tool I am using in the photo.  That is the coolest circle cutting tool on the market. It is made by Kreaxions and is the best circle cutter out there in my opinion.
 
Step 2:  Take a Martha Stewart corner punch and punch all the way around the circle.  This is a favorite technique of mine as it allows you to mimic a doily effect on any of your papers. (sorry for the slightly blurry image, I was doing this in our RV, not the best of circumstances for photographing!)  This is really easy to do, just turn your punch upside down so you can see what you are doing and punch around your circle.
 
 
 
Step 3:  Now let's tear a rectangle.  It is about 4" wide and 6.5" long at its longest point. 
 
 
Step 4:  Now I have gathered up some scraps to use as layers.  The scrap with the circle cut from its center is 10" wide and about 5" long and I used Martha Stewarts Wildflower punch on it.  You just want it long enough to hide under your other layers.
 
The wide strip is 12" x 4 5/8" and is punched on the bottom with EK Success Flower Burst and EK Success Painted Flower. 
 
I have also punched another border with EK Success Flower Burst.  It is in two pieces as I used scraps and those pieces will fit under the photo. 
 
The odd shaped scrap on the left is 5 3/4" x 6 7/8" and the rectangle piece is Prima packaging, about 4" x 3/4".
 
 
 Step 5:  Time to distress and  ink everything up.  I used a lot of different colors of ink on my pieces as I was aiming for a lot of color on this layout.  If you are trying to achieve a really vintage look, you will want to stick with "dirty" Distress colors  like Walnut Stain and Gathered Twigs.  Really, any of the browns or even black work great with vintage LOs.

 
 
Step 6:  Ok. now that you've distressed and inked, its time to start putting our LO together.    I've chosen the Couple page from the Divine collection  as my base paper.  The moment I saw this paper I knew that I wanted to scrap this particular photo with it. 
 
Lay the wildflower punched piece down first about an inch from the top of the page and centered side to side.  Then layer the odd shaped piece on top of that dropping it down about an inch from the top and  almost an inch from the left side.  Place the piece of Prima packaging near the bottom and 3" from the left side of the base page.
 
 
Step 7:  Now let's add our border strips. First place the wide border strip that is punched on the top and the bottom about 4 1/2" from the top.  Add the circle on top of that and then layer the other punched strips 5 3/4" from the top.
 
(Note, now is when you want to add in the two pieces of burlap you see in the finished LO.  For me, the burlap was one of the last things I did because  that was when I decided the LO needed it)
 
 
 
Step 8:  Now add the irregularly torn rectangle and some lace.  I used some venetian lace from my stash.
 
 
 
Step 9: I like to pop up my photos as it adds a bit of dimension to your layout and helps the photo to stand out.
 
 
 
Step 10:
 
Time for embellishments!  As often happens when I am creating, I get carried away and forget to photograph the last steps,  sorry!!  I think you can see what I have done though.
 
I popped up the Cherish title but in the end changed that out for one of the Prima chippies, you'll see  it on the finished LO.
 
 
 
To build the cluster:  First glue down the Prima vine that came in the kit.  Then tuck the chipboard piece up next to the vine.   Then take the largest of the Kaisercraft roses and place at the bottom of the vine, then a slightly smaller one in the center and finally one of the Prima rose buds near the top.  Place some of the Prima flat flowers under the vine and around the chippy. ( I sprayed these with Lindy's Glitz Spritz Blazing Sun to add some sparkle)  Now take sprigs of the Magnolia flower berries and tuck into the cluster.
 
Finally, I took a Prima zipper pull and placed it under the photo just because I thought it was cool, LOL!
 
 
 Tuck in the balloon chippy on the right between layers.  Add two of the Prima daisies that came in the kit on top of the lace.
 
 
 
 Step 11:  And finally I decided that a 5/16" border would look nice around the entire page.  Be sure to ink the border inside and out, I can see that although I inked the inside, I still need to ink the outside.  ( This border was left over from a punch with a WRMK Lucky 8 punch.  I always cut those out carefully so that I can save this border.)
 
Here's the finished page,  I'd love to see your take on this BAP!
 
 
Supplies - all from the May KOM Coffee and Muse unless otherwise noted.
 
Patterned paper:  Prima Divine collection:  Base-Couple, torn rectangle-Envoy, square & bordercut with wild flowers-Epigram; MME Collectable Memorable collection: circle-I'm With...; 7 Dots Love is in the Air collection: border punch-I Must Believe

Chipboard:  Prima Divine chipboard stickers

Diecuts and punches: EK Success Painted Flower and  Flower Burst; Martha Stewart Wild flowers and Swirling Lace; (all from my stash)

Flowers:    Kaisercraft coral paper blooms, Prima Solid Flower Vine yellow, Magnolia Made with Love, Prima Soprano coral, Prima Divine Daisies, Prima Divine multi pack flowers,

Ink:  Mix'd Media Inx Peridot, Chiffon, Vintage, Patina; Distress Walnut Stain, Antique Linen (All from my stash)

Mist:  Lindy's Glitz Spritz Blazing Sun
 
Other:  Prima packaging, coral burlap


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...