Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

G45 Typography - tag tute!

I have a new scrappy passion, making tags that can do double duty and serve as a card.  I don't like to make cards, I don't know why, I just don't.  Maybe I will conquer them next year.  But for now I love making tags with little pockets and places where I can write a note, much as you would on a card.

Here's a quick tag that you can make in no time.  I am a huge fan of Graphic 45 and I just love the bold colors of their new collection, Typography, now available at The Flying Unicorn store.  It inspired me to make this tag that I will use to write a thank you note to a friend.

 
 First cut a tag, mine is about 8.5" long and 3.25" wide.  I have a Sizzix tag die that I used to cut the scalloped top of the tag.  This is easy to do, just run your tag part way through your diecut machine, but just far enough to get the scallop cut.  Don't run it all the way through unless you want a much shorter tag.  I chose a 4 x 6  cut apart rectangle as the centerpiece of my tag and then cut out the Thanks words.  Next cut a slightly larger (2 3/8 x 3 3/4)  coordinating patterned paper to go behind the Thanks tag.  I fussy cut the swirl and flower from the same patterned paper.  Distress and ink all the edges.



Now adhere the Thanks tag on the patterned paper, this will be our "door".  Cut two hinges.  Mine are cut from an adhesive felt that you can get very inexpensively at a hobby store.  I like using the felt because it will not tear as easily as paper.  I happen to have a hinge die but you can easily make hinges from small squares of paper.


Now adhere the hinges to the door, but be sure to leave enough of the hinge off the door so that you can adhere it to the larger card.  The fussy cut swirl has a flower near the top.  Punch a hole in the center of the flower.



Now attach the door to the 4 x 6 card with brads and then attach the 4 x 6 card to the tag.  Line up the hole in the fussy cut paper with the hole in the tag and adhere to the tag.


Add some flowers and a bow at the bottom.  Remember when snaps were the new gotta have thing?  I bet you have some around your scrappy room somewhere.  Well the snap was just the perfect size to make a door handle for my door.  I did not set the snap in the traditional way.  Instead I just glued the snap to the paper so that it stands off the paper and looks more like a door knob.


 I love that I can hide a little note behind the door!  You can easily adapt this tute to suit any of your scrapbook papers as it's really easy to make a little door.


Supplies:

Paper:  Graphic 45 Typography collection:  stripe - Create, Dear Friend cut apart - Imagine, black floral patterned paper - Celebrate, Thanks cut aparttag - Journey
Ribbon: May Arts
Flowers:  Prima mountain lily sunflower

If you make a tag like this, be sure to leave me a link so I can see your work!



3 comments:

  1. Years ago someone "in the know" recognized my tag fettish and told me tags were only a fad in the paper crafting industry and would not last! I'm so glad they were wrong! Your tag is an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the brigh colors you chose for some of your tags. Unique experience

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...