Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Let's make a layered mixed media tag - tutorial

We're having an online crop at the Flying Unicorn this weekend!  Come join in the fun and enter my challenge to make a tag, you could win a $20 gift certificate for the Flying Unicorn store!

My challenge is to make a tag, not any old tag, but a Valentine non-traditional layered tag with mixed media.  Whew, that was a mouthful!!

Here are the steps to my tag.  Feel free to scraplift this exactly or modify however you wish!

1.  Start by cutting your base tag.  I like long tags so mine is 8 1/2" long x 3 1/2".  I used Prima Jodie Lee Art Journal paper from the January Flying Unicorn kit for my base.

2.  Now let's do some masking.  I've use a TCW tattered hearts mask and 13 Arts Ayeeda Gesso from the January.  Quickly was your mask off while the gesso is drying.  After the gesso is dry, place the mask back over the hearts and dab on some paints.  I used 13 Arts Matte Lemon and Matte Pink paints from the Flying Unicorn Mixed Arts kit.


3.  Now let's make some of our layers  that we're going to use on the tag.  Cut a frame of some sort that works with whatever image you chose for your tag.  I cut a Spellbinders square frame to go under my image (you can see my image in step 8)   Instead of cutting a frame you can just make a paper layer.

Then tear a paper a little larger that the frame or layer you just made.

Now let's have some fun with embossing powder.  Dabble a little embossing ink here and there on your base tag and around the edges of your frame.  Sprinkle with embossing powder of your choice (I used Stampendous aged gold and silver.)

I love this Leaky Shed cupid chipboard piece and decided to dress it up with Stampendous Shabby White Embossing Enamel.



4.  Ooops!  I left this circle out.  Cut a 2 1/2" circle and add some embossing powder around the edges and heat emboss.  Add a word to the circle if you like.

5.  Let's begin our assembly.  Cut a piece of cardboard to fit underneath the paper layer.  I glued it to the tag so as to be sure the cardboard does not show from the backside of the tag.



6.  Adhere the torn paper to the cardboard hanging it off the side.

Cut a piece of cardboard to fit under the frame or paper layer that you made in step 3.



 7.  Layer the frame over the torn paper.



8.  Layer an image within the frame.  Glue some lace to the bottom of the tag and then add some flowers.  Glue cupid to the flowers.


9.  At this point I thought the tag looked a little too heavy on the left side so I added the circle and the rectangular scrap to the right side.  The rectangle is layered under the base tag and the circle is layered over the base tag.
OK so I have to tell the truth and tell you that I got some ink on my lace by mistake but hey, that's no problem.  Just dab some more ink on the lace and it will look like ot was planned that way!
Add some ribbons at the top and that's it!


 Leaky Shed cupid chipboard




Lots of other challenges going on too as well as games and door prizes, come join us!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...