Pages

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Christmas in July at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog!


I am so tickled to be guest designing again for the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog!   Their challenges are always fun, I hope you'll join in sometime.   The current challenge is Christmas in July so it's time to get a head start on those Christmas projects!  I designed this cute little gingerbread house for my Christmas in July GDT spot.


I love little Christmas houses so I decided to create this little cottage using Graphic 45's St Nicholas collection from 2016.  This is such a fun little piece and will look great nestled in with some greenery on the mantel.   Another idea for this piece would be to thread a loop through the roof so that you could attach a hook to it and make it an ornament.  The house is small enough that it would be adorable hanging from a tree branch.

You need two dies to make this cottage, both are Sizzix Bigz dies, at the bottom I've listed all my supplies.  One of the dies builds the basic cottage and the other die provides all the fun trim pieces, roof shingles etc.  The basic cottage works with several other dies for building other structures. Check out the Funkie Junkie Boutique as the Boutique carries many Sizzix dies including the ones for this structure.
The body of the cottage is cut from the St. Nicholas 12 x 12 Patterns and Solids pad.  I am so loving the large size pads that G45 has started producing.They are great for projects like this and when you can't find a matching cardstock!

To make the snow effect, I used a very white modeling paste and just smeared it on with a trowel.  Then I went back over that and added some Aleene's Glitter Snow.  I didn't have a lot of Glitter Snow so that's why I used the modeling paste underneath.

I fussy cut the peppermints and candy canes with holly from the design paper.  if you have some small circle punches, they are great for cutting out little things like these peppermints.  Sure beats trying to fussy cut a perfect circle!

To top it all off I had to add some Petaloo sugared blooms.  I just can't stay away from the flowers!  ðŸ˜…
Supplies Used:

Graphic 45 - St. Nicholas 12 X 12 Patterns & Solids Pad 4501411
Graphic 45 - St Nicholas 12 x 12:
  Bells and Bows
  Sweet Tooth
  Candy Cane Wishes
Red Cardstock (for the two large candy canes)
Sharpie - White (to make the stripes on the large candy canes)
Aleene's Glitter Snow
White modeling paste
Petaloo Botanica Sugared Minis - burgundy

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today.  Be sure to stop by the Frillie and Funkie  Challenge Blog  and see all the marvelous creations from the Frillie and Funkie design team, you're sure to be inspired!

1 comment:

  1. Maggi, this is just adorable! I am thrilled you were our Guest Designer at Frilly and Funkie, and you sure did Cec's challenge theme justice! The holly shingles are my favorite bit along with the snow! Charming cottage made with love! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...