Pages

Thursday, January 25, 2018

More fun from Creativation!

I really enjoyed spending some time in Ken Oliver's booth and learning all about Color Bursts.  Gotta tell you, they are so fun to work with especially for someone like me that loves bright vibrant color!  Ken also has a mixed media mat board that is really awesome.  It is thick and takes watercolor without warping, love love love!  I have used two  6" x 6" pieces of his mat board to create this Inspiration Art Journal. 

Now I've never been an art journaler, not my thing.  But this is my year to break out of my comfort zone and do something different, so here I am with my very own art journal.


So far I've created a few pages with Ken Oliver's Color Bursts.  In their simplest form, you just spritz some water onto a mixed media paper of some sort and then sprinkle with the Color Bursts and watch the colors explode!  The trick, of course, is keeping the colors from running all together and creating mud.

Another highlight of my trip to Creativation was visiting the Little Birdie booth.  Oh my, talk about some really gorgeous and different flowers, you should see the succulents.  They are AMAZING!!  I was lucky enough to get a package of these blue blooms that are sprinkled with glitter.  They are gorgeous!  Many thanks to everyone at Little Birdie for these blooms!


I'm also playing along with a challenge at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog with this project.  The challenge is to pick a word for 2018 that inspires you and create a vintage or shabby chic project featuring your word.  I've chosen courage as my inspiration word and it has a lot of meaning for me.  I see a lot of changes and challenges ahead for me in the months to come and I hope that I will have the courage to meet them all head on.  As an artist, I want the courage to explore new techniques.


More Color Burst action and one of my very favorite characters, the Umbrella Man!


Isn't that a really inspirational quote?  It really is so true, you just have to let your mind wander where it hasn't been before.  

To create this page, I spritzed with water, sprinkled on different colors of Color Burst and then dried the page.  Then I took a mask and modeling paste and stencil on a vine and leaves.  Next, another spritz of water and more Color Burst letting the colors pool around the raised texture of the paste.  I love how this turned out!  I add some tiny Little Birdie blooms from my stash, and the larger bloom from Creativation.
On the left side, it's more of the same color palette but on the right side, I played with black and brown Color Burst.   Then I added in some gold stamping and the gold butterflies.  I'm not too happy about how my butterflies came out, the paste seeped a bit under the stencil.  I guess I need more practice right?  And that's what art journaling is all about .

And finally, the back cover, I need to add a quote or two here. (There are plenty of blank pages inside, I'll share them with you as the year progresses.)   This was the page I did with Ken at Creativation.   I really love the color splashes on the white background.

Thanks for stopping by today and checking out my Creativation fun!

Supplies:
Ken Oliver Color Bursts Carribbean  and Rich Morroccan Collections
Ken Oliver Mixed Media Mat Board
Little Birdie Flowers
Graphic 45 Typography
Stamper's Anonymous Mini Motivation Set, Phrases 2, and Life's Possibilities set
Cinch Binding System



16 comments:

  1. Well Maggi, you sure did a FABULOUS job on your first try! This is GORGEOUS! I really LOVE the vibrant colors! A beautiful piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa! I really appreciate your visits to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! Love the colors, love the stamps you used. So inspired. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment! I so appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. Maggi - yes!!!!! this is what art journaling is all about and so far, you're doing a magnificent job... I wanna see these (and those color bursts) in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Peggy! We will play with these when you come in May!

      Delete
  5. This is an awesome art journal! The vibrant colors and simply embellished pages with a prominent quote is perfect. Looking forward to your additions. tfs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, thank you for your vote of confidence! I appreciate your comments so much!

      Delete
  6. These pages are SO amazing and SO vibrant Maggi! Can't wait to see the new things you do this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggi, I love your journal pages and covers with their vibrant colors and beautiful blooms! I love Color Bursts and have added a few more to my little collection. You were so blessed to have met KO in person and do a little crafting with him there at Creativation. I do love the brown page, especially, and I think the butterflies look great! It gives it a real artsy look to the page. I am always surprised when the blue blooms from the brown color! Thank you so much for sharing your word and your beautiful artwork with us at Frilly and Funkie! Hugs! Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sara, the brown page is kinda vintage. I think it will be fun to explore the darer side of the Color Bursts. Thanks so much for leaving such a nice comment!

      Delete
  8. Brilliant! I love your word. :) This journal is fabulous. Thanks for playing along with us at Frilly and Funkie Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. t was a fun challenge, thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  9. I love your word, and I loved seeing you put your courage into action at CHA! Girl, you are a machine! How on earth did you find the time to put this fabulous little art journal together? I love every bit of it! Thanks so much for sharing with us in the Frilly and Funkie "the Year Of..." challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a good friend!! Thanks so much!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...